Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dr. Stinnett

Okay, well the results were not in- So both the doctor & pathologist are going off assumptions. I am sure they are right on, however, they will be calling with results tomorrow.
What we did find out..
More than likely it's- Hodgkin's which has a 90% survival rate
More than likely it is in stage 2.
He does has 2 lumps in his chest
1ST is 2 inches
2ND is 2.5 inches
He still has more testing to do-
Today they did a bone marrow biopsy
Friday they will be doing an Eckocardiogram
Next Thursday (unless we can get in sooner) they will do a PET scan
For info on a PET scan, check out this link
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?PG=pet
They will wait for the results before deciding on a PORT or LINE-
Port goes under the skin
Line hangs out of the skin
We will be getting a call tomorrow to confirm this diagnosis or tell us a new one.
He will be treated with Chemo- Once all tests have been finalized, they will decide on a treatment, once a week, or once every 2 weeks. They have said he can still work, just not on the Chemo days.

Ready for the Bone Marrow Biopsy test story... Okay, well they warned us it would hurt & how they preform the test. We all know that I am not in a medical field, because I am not a blood person. So I picked up a magazine, and glanced over every few minutes to see what was going on. Saw some fat long needles- I would compare one of them to a meat thermometer. I could hear Nic taking deep breaths, so I knew it was killing him. I kept hearing the doctor say, sorry, sorry, I'm going to try over here. So I am sure Nic was dying. In the mean time I had to keep my composure. I started feeling really sick to my stomach and light headed. So I was trying to decide which to do first, If I stand up & go to the sink (cause I wouldn't have made it to the bathroom), I may faint on the way, but if I stay in my chair, I may puke. The room was spinning & my mouth was watering like crazy.. Which was going to happen first. In order to get to the sink I would have to cut through the doctor & nurse- I don't want to bump or ruin anything, but if I pass out, they might not have finished the procedure. I keep hearing- Sorry, go ahead and cuss if you need to. By this time I quit looking, I had my back to Nic. The Nurse was still in my vision & she had taken a sample of bone- The first sample didn't get any marrow- & was placing it on a slide. Whoa. Took some deep breaths, looked at the ceiling. I could feel that I was swaying. Oh man, here Nic is in pain & I can't handle the thought/sound/ and little sight I had seen. Then the doctor was done. My eyes were watering, my mouth was watering, I couldn't read the posters on the other side of the room. Then the doctor went out. I went over to the sink, had a drink & splashed some water on my face & went and sat down with my head between my knees. I was still woozy. By the time the doctor came back in I had gotten some color back into my face, but was still a little light headed as we stood.. Came home, my head was pounding, so I took a migraine pill. now all I have left is a little nausea, and a smouldering headache. Nic on the other hand hurts, his neck & hip are throbbing. For now he took a pain pill & is tyring to sleep. I think he handled it better than I did.

Thanks Jen for watching Stockton- Appreciate it!
We are good on food tonight-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news! I hope the diagnosis remains as the assumption. I have a lot of mixed emotions right now. Feeling relieved, but sick to my stomach as well. Please let me know if I can help. Sorry to hear the bone marrow test was so rough for both of you!

Krystal said...

What troopers! You guys are definitely tough! Glad neither of you passed out. Good news!