Sunday, March 15, 2009

more vacation


Waking up after Wicked...































We took a boat ride to Alcatraz.
I'd go CRAZY in here. Good thing I am law abiding!
They had these Audio tours, where you wear head phones and take the tour at your own pace.
Pretty cool, heard quite a few interesting stories-- makes me want to watch the history channel or read a book about it.

This is the ruble of a once standing house of one of the guards.

The view of the bay area from Alcatraz

After Alcatraz, we went to china town. Courtesy of the fine tour bus we had been riding the last few days. We bought a 2 or 3 day pass. Well worth the money!

Our tour guide this time a wonderful guy named Philip. We learned a few more thing from the tour. We asked him about a good place to eat at China town, since there are about 30 to choose from. He said he knew of just the right place- he said the service was terrible & food was great & cheap-- Okay, we can handle that.

CHINA TOWN

So we got the guide dropped us off right in front of this place- looks normal, he came in with us & introduces us to the hostess. We were seated & looking at the menu- questioning a few items... I was confident in the lo mien I was going to order.. A man came to take our order, Jen started, then he came to me, I ordered. He was looking at us funny and wasn't writing anything down You would have thought we were speaking in tongue or had green teeth. Anyhow after I ordered, he said- Is this your first time here? Yes-- we seemed to say in unison. He shook his head & said. I am the owner, I will take care of you. He then took our drink order. We looked at each other in horror--- What will he bring us???? He started out with casadilla looking things with Shrimp, drizzled in peanut sauce. OMG Delicious! about 5 mins later we got our second dish. Pork egg rolls if I remember right. Again another hit. Yummy. Then it was a beef dish... I want to say Mu-Shu? Anyway, that was one that was good, but I got a really fatty piece of beef, which made it yucky. Jen said hers wasn't fatty at all, so it would have been good had I gotten a different piece of Beef. At this point I was confident in this place & ordered some Tea- I was ready to give anything a try. He brought me a glass of hot water with what looks like a giant seed of flower bud at the bottom. about the size of a walnut. The next dish to come was Sesame Chicken- Another winner, and Oh so delicious.. We started joking about how the food would never end & the bill would be $300.00. The next thing to come was lo mien. I would say that was the thing I liked the least-- good thing this guy ordered for us., I would have been stuck. Then the waitress mentioned that this was the last plate.- relieved and getting full we then got the bill. Not bad-- about $70.00 for 5 people & 5 different plates. I'd go back again-- if only. And my tea, well the closest I can describe it is a chamomile. The bud at the bottom slowly opened up, so it looked like I was drinking a weed or bug. The picture doesn't do it justice. But it was tasty- if you like tea.. And I do.

My plate- above-My tea below

We then shopped at the China Town shops- I could have spent more money- Had I had some avl.Ü I would have loved to get a china shirt-- no other way to explain it. Not a t-shirt, just a shirt in the print & style of a china woman.

Crystal & I getting Silly at the shops- She took the picture

We then walked home-- not too far.

We stopped at baskin robins for a tasty treat & home for a nap.

No comments: