Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday update

Nic had a pretty good night last night in his own bed. No interruptions from nurses. We have been staying on top of pain meds and he is moving around a little more than he was at the hospital. He is in better spirits now that he is home, which I think makes a huge difference in his recovery. We have a few follow up appointments this week that may shed light on recovery time.
I really appreciate all the help.
Nate, thanks for shoveling the drive- Something Nic nor I can do until next snow season.
Crystal, babysitting and bringing the kids to visit Nic
Allen, Cheri, Bob, Delaine, Kristin, Mark- For meals, cleaning up, doing laundry, passing along information to family.
Monica & Natasha for child care and meals.
Trent for stepping up as man of the house.
Crystal, Jen & Jon, for answering questions about Nic's condition- Since neither of us have the medical knowledge.
Everyone else for the love, support and prayers, and for the offers to help.  We are not out of the woods yet, but this is a great start.

Saturday, February 23, 2013


Nic will be released later today. I missed the Doctor visit this morning, so I don't have any updates. He should be stopping by just before release. If any new news comes out, I will be sure to update.
Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers for Nic and our family.

Update 2- Nic was released today. We got home about 7:30. Nic is still experiencing a lot of pain, but is happy to be sleeping in his own bed tonight.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Updates for 2/22/2013

Nic-Not much news for now. I have been running around all morning trying to get images of Nic's past CT and MRI's from Lakeview and Davis Hospitals. Once I have them I will take them in for both the Neurologist and the pelvic Orthopedist to review. Once they have review them and are able to join forces, I will have another update. Nic had his MRI with contrast last night. So they are just waiting on these records. Which have been a nightmare to get a hold of.  I am half way there. Just waiting on Davis Hospital.

Amber- I had a doctor apt today. Last week my blood pressure was a little high, so she wanted to keep closer tabs on me.  When I went in today, I knew it was going to be high, as I had just sped to Lakeview hospital and back in about 50 minutes in a snow storm. Not to mention all the other things going on right now.  It was high again, but not high enough for meds. I am to relax more (yeah right) and make sure I don't have more than 4 contractions in an hour. I did have some swelling which could mean the onset of toxemia. I also lost 3 lbs. in a week. Which is a concern, as I should be gaining almost a pound a week at this point. Hopefully next week will bring better news for me.

Update 2
Nic- Both Doctors have come and gone. No surgery necessary. They have pulled the cath and as long as Nic is able to take care of business he will be released tomorrow. Pelvis will just take time- about 6 weeks to heal. Spinal swelling- not sure how long that will be bothering him.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Nics update

For those who haven't heard the story, Nic was involved in an accident yesterday. Here is the link to KSL.
He was momentarily pinned between the dump truck and his work truck. He had to have some staples in his elbow and broke his pelvis in 2 places.  We are currently getting more testing today as he is experiencing numbness and tingling around his tail bone. They are suspecting nerve damage. I will update later when I have more info.

Update #2
Nic was transported to Mckay-Dee, he will be seeing Dr. Blake Welling, Neurology Surgeon. The tests at Davis showed that he has bruising, bleeding and swelling at the bottom of the spine. We will find out if surgery is necessary, or just keep an eye on the bleeding and swelling. He will be here for a few days.

Update #3
Doctor say it looks like surgery is not necessary at this time. They are going to compare images of Nic's spine before the accident and after. The before images will be from cancer follow ups.  Nic has a spinal hemorrhage. This is causing temporary nerve damage. He is going to have an additional MRI with contrast to get a better picture. The Doctor is ordering a Lumbar brace and Nic will start on physical therapy tomorrow. He is also having an Orthopedist that specializes in the pelvis treat Nic. If all goes well with the latest MRI- Doctor suspects release will be with in 36 hours.