Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cancer treatment # 5

Nic is doing well on his weight & tolerance of chemo. His red blood cells were a little low, but the shot will take care of that. He was feeling yucky last night, his complexion was a grayish green- as it is after every treatment.
I didn't get a chance to talk to him yet this morning, but I am sure there is quite a bit of sleeping going on.
I happened to get a call from my brother Aaron last night, so for those also curious as to his wife's condition, she is doing well. She has learned, just like Nic had to, that overdoing it, will only make you feel worse. They just moved into a new house, & 2 days later, she had brain surgery. After a few weeks of being down and taking it easy, she was trying to un-pack & do a little painting to make her house a home. She learned all too well that she need to let her body take it one day at a time. As Aaron asked me how I was doing, well, same as you I figure & told him so, we both seem to have a full plate. He gave me a little chuckle & said he no longer had a plate, he had a table. And that the table can get bigger at any time, there is always room for more. I thought about it, a wave a nausea came over me, as I was thinking, I just can't handle anymore. I don't want a table, I'd like to throw & shatter the plate I have (2 maybe 3 times, glue it back together, so I can run over it.). Thinking about that phone conversation later on, I thought about what was on my plate-- Was it all necessary to be there? Would I be happier if some things were taken off? My conclusion, I am happy with everything I have. Sure this cancer thing sucks & it is a struggle, but I have already learned so much & have a stronger relationship with my family. Not to mention a whole new meaning to humble, compassion, gratitude and love. This is a life experience that will give me wisdom in my older age, and the strength to get through what else life has in store. Now, when I say older age-- I am talking 32 maybe 34. JUST KIDDING. I will still be learning things at that age fa-sho (a shortened and much cooler way of saying for sure). I am sure he didn't know it, but thanks for calling Aaron, you gave me some positive insight on the current stage of my life. Your phone call was the answer to my and so many other prayers for some much needed strength and optimism.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Girl you just made me cry!!! You and Nic are both amazing people and will get through this together, and with the full love and support of all your family and friends!

Krystal said...

I like how you talked about the table always having the potential to get bigger. Very true. I'm sorry that you guys are going through such a crazy and difficult time. I like your optimism when you say that you are learning a lot from it though. Hope things get better, fa-sho! :)

Me said...

Awesome post. I admire you.

Anonymous said...

I second what Kyrs and JoiLin said!