Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pricey

So, I am trying to keep up on the medical bills- I get a statement from the hospital about every day- Thank you Davis Hospital for adding to my stack. I get bills from the Dr's office & statements from my insurance that I have been trying to match up with co-pay receipts & such. I have been pulling my insurance statements on line, otherwise I get them monthly, & I don't want to wait until the end of the month. & go through them all at once. If you remember a few post's back-- well actually in April. I had to call the insurance about approving a shot for Nic to keep his white blood cell count up. So, as I was going through the paid & unpaid services on the insurance statement, I came across a transaction that took me a minute to match up.
I keep a record of what was done on what date in my planner, so that when I get bill with an amount & date of service, I am able to refer to my planner to see what the service was. I hadn't gotten a bill for this, but it showed what was billed to the insurance, then the contractual agreement amount that would be paid & what was left over. The amount that was left over isn't what surprised me- although I did a gasp/sigh Napoleon Dynamite style. It was the price of this one shot. More than one session of chemo. The shot was billed for just over $6,000.00. Yes, one shot, that takes about 30 seconds to give & causes my husband days of pain. I would like to ask the makers of this drug-- does it really need to cost that much? If they were injecting liquid gold into my husband I don't think they could charge this amount. Good thing for contractual agreements, and for insurance. They paid $2,334.00, the agreement is $2,788.00, which leaves Nic & I to pay $454.00 per shot. Totally worth it to keep him healthy, but good lord.
Come July, my insurance has a few changes, I am not sure if they will be for the better or worse, but I am sure I'll find out.

1 comment:

Krystal said...

That is insane! I'm glad that insurance covers so much of it though. Hopefully the insurance change is for the better! :)