Saturday, October 4, 2008

My Garden


My Garden--- Did quite well this year, got quite a few green beans. Too much zuchinni. A gazillion cherry tomatos. Some nice Carrots. I had some herbs, & what didn't get taken over by the mint (I've learned my lesson with this plant) was killed off by my neighbors who sprayed their weed killer a little too close to my garden. I did have some chives & parsley survive. My peppers were stunted in the beginning, but those little plants grew some nice big peppers.

I tried something new this year, tomatillos. Never grown or tried them, but they grew well & now I've got a few pounds in the freezer for future use. I got 3 very nice sized pumpkins from one plant. & some of the large sunflowers-- I should be harvesting the seeds any day now.

-Funny thing, I didn't plant potatos this year, because last years didn't work out. However, I have some potato's in my garden. Funnier thing-- I usually "give back" to my garden with egg shells, melon rhinds, fruit skins & pits (peaches, pears, strawberries, bananas) & just have Nic till them all up. Well last year I had squash coming out my ears, & I had eaten alot of cantelope. Well when Nic tilled last season & again at the beginning of this season... I had 3 plants sprout up that I didn't plant. One was summer squash I kept that one-- the other 2 looked like-- Honey dew-- maybe a little more oval. I pulled one of the plants, because it was taking over my carrots. The other was by my grean beans. I let it grow for a while, still not knowing what it was. I took them into work & gave them away, with the advice that I wasn't sure what the *heck* it was. My co-worker Tina & Supervisor Glenda took them. Both were cooked as thought they were a squash, because once they were cut opened, they had the seed of summer squash/pumpkin looking. The outside was white & the inside had a slight yellow tint to it. After they cooked it up with butter & salt, came the taste test. They both told me it had a sweet taste to it--Wierd. I wish I had a picture of it, but after hearing that, I pulled the plant. My guess would be cantelope & squash mix, but who knows, could have had a little help from zucchini...

Knowing that this weather would kill anything left-- with the exception of my carrots-- I picked everything I had left. Gave lots to family & what was left I took to work to hand out. I still have one pepper & a few tomato's, because for lunch today we are making french bread pizza, & those are great toppings!

No comments: